Windows 7 Error 1606 – Simple Guide To Fix Windows 7 Error 1606
You may be receiving error 1606 on Windows 7 when installing programs like Adobe Acrobat, Java and iTunes. In this situation installation automatically pauses and the following error occurs: “Error 1606: Could Not Access Network Location.”
Windows 7 shows this error when following registry sub keys are broken:
i. HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerUser Shell Foldersii. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerUser Shell Folders
Below is given simple guide to fix Windows 7 error 1606:
* First of all you need to fix registry using a registry repairing tool available on Internet. The tool would allow you to fix all broken sub keys in the registry. Download this program and run it on your computer once a week to maintain PC health and to repair hidden Windows problems similar to Windows 7 error 1606.
* You can also fix the issue by manually repairing the broken sub keys in the registry. Follow these steps:
1. Click on Start button and then Run.2. Type “RegEdit” without quotes and press Enter. Locate the following folder:HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerUser Shell Folders3. Now select the Recent and Delete it.4. Close registry editor.
* If error persists then you should change Microsoft Office installation root directory in the registry. Follow these steps:
1. Open registry editor.Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOffice[Version Number]CommonInstallRoot2. Double click the string named Path. [If there is no such string named Path, then create a new one.]3. Enter the root installation directory of Microsoft Office. Following are the examples:
a. Office 2000 – C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeb. Office XP (2002) – C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10c. Office 2003 – C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11d. Office 2007 – C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice124. Click OK.5. Done.
* Update your sound card driver and remove browser and system junk using PC optimizer tool.
If you are not an advanced user of computer then you should opt for third party software (registry cleaner and PC optimizer). Registry is highly sensitive portion of the operating system. If there is minor corruption then it may crash your entire data. However, using a reliable registry repair tool while dealing with registry is safe.