Diving for me means; explore a breathtaking new world, experience breathing under water, seeing many different kinds of beautiful creatures and have fun with your buddy. For all of these elements you will have to dive at the right location with the right person. Here is a list with 10 of best places to dive worldwide.
1. Pulau Sipidan: Pulau Sipidan (what means Island Sipidan) is situated on the east coast of Sabah and the north coast of Borneo and is by far the best dive place. The island can be visited by a limited number of people. Make sure you make a clear reservation and make sure you have all the required papers carrying with you when you will visit the island. The underwater world is filled with many turtles, lobsters, rays, barracuda’s, coral fishes, white tipped sharks and if you are very lucky you can see a hammerhead and more.
2. Pulau Mabul: Pulau Mabul is located nearby the island Sipidan. From Sipidan you can reach the island in 25 minutes by boat. You dive along steep walls with beautiful corals and on the other side you see a dark endless hole. In the steep walls you will see many lion fishes, turtles and all kinds of fishes. I think it also is a good place to start your PADI dive course.
3. Hurghada – Egypt is a very beautiful place to dive, especially the coast in front of the city Hurghada. Here are many manta’s, colorful coral reefs, napoleon fishes, moray eels, sharks and turtles. And if you are taking a boat trip and you are lucky, you might get to see some dolphins.
4. Belize – Belize is situated on Mexico and Guatemala and it has a coast of 280 kilometers which is the second largest barrier reef in the world. Over here you can see nurse sharks, (which I think are great!) rays, turtles, canyons, sponges, soft coral species, tarpons and angel fish. You really have to experience this! It really makes you feel unreal and dreamy.
5. Great Barrier Reef – The Great Barrier Reef is located in the Coral sea, east of the state Queensland and is the biggest coral reef in the world. In this place, every dive is an adventure! The many colorful fishes, manta’s, sharks and the amazing amount of coral is indescribable. Henron Island is the place to be for divers and snorkelers. It is part of the Great Barrier Reef and mainly divers and nature lovers come here because, the sea turtles are laying their eggs over here and in June and July you can see humpback whales swimming in front of the coast. That truly is an experience you will never forget.
6. Lanzarote – Diving in Lanzarote is a great place to dive! I think it is a special place because in front of the coast are many reefs and spots where you can dive such as the Homereef, Timanfaya Reef and Cathedral. Here you can make a cavern dive that is almost 15 meters high and wide on a depth of 30 meters, I think it is amazing. Furthermore there is a variety of fishes such as angel sharks, moray eels and many squids.
7. The Galapagos Islands – The Galapagos Islands is a beautiful place to dive but you really must have dive experience because on the Gorden Rocks is a heavy current. The dive schools over there will not give you any kind of equipment unless you can prove how many dives you have made. The minimum dives you must have done is 30. But ones you are in the water, you can see hammerheads, sea turtles, stingrays, eagle rays, sharks and sea lions.
8. Scapa Flow – Scapa Flow is located on the north east coast of Scotland and offers many shipwrecks left over from World War One. The many ships are close by the surface and the depth is about 15 meters so everyone can do a dive in here. The visibility is excellent over here and it is a great opportunity to do a wreck dive.
9. Fiji’s – Fiji has many islands that offer great places to dive such as the Viti Levu, Vanua Levu, Taveuni and Kadavu. On Viti Levua you can do cave dives, cavern dives and wreck dives.
10. Mauritius – The best time to dive on Mauritius is from October to April because the weather and the temperature of the water are more pleasant. If you are a diver and you are on Mauritius, you should go to ‘Serpent Rank’. In every little corner you will see an eel or moray, sometimes they are 3 meters long. There are also many scorpions, lion fishes and stone fishes. At Grand Baie in the North is a vulcanic crater, that is often visited by sharks and rays.